Banana Nut Blondies are a delightful twist on traditional banana bread, offering all the flavors you love in a more compact, square form. Whether you’re a vegan enthusiast or prefer dairy butter, this recipe accommodates both, making it a versatile treat for everyone. In this article, we’ll guide you through creating these scrumptious blondies step by step.
Here’s what you’ll need to make a batch of these delectable Banana Nut Blondies:
- 8 Tbsp. (113 g) unsalted vegan stick butter, melted, or ½ cup (125 g) liquid coconut oil
- ¾ cup (150 g) organic light brown sugar
- ½ cup (125 g) mashed very ripe banana (about 1 banana)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. fine sea salt
- ¼ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- 1½ cups (190 g) all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup (83 g) chopped toasted walnuts
Step 1: Preheat Your Oven
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat it to 350ºF.
- Coat an 8 × 8-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Line the pan with a strip of parchment paper that hangs over two of the edges.
Step 2: Mix the Wet Ingredients
- In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter or liquid coconut oil, brown sugar, mashed banana, vanilla, and salt until well combined (about 30 seconds).
Step 3: Incorporate Dry Ingredients
- Whisk in the baking powder and baking soda.
- Fold in the flour and ½ cup (55 g) of the chopped walnuts with a spatula until well combined. The batter will be thick.
Step 4: Bake
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and spread it evenly.
- Sprinkle the remaining ¼ cup (28 g) of walnuts on top.
Step 5: Baking Time
- Bake the blondies until slightly puffed, golden, and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean (approximately 25 to 30 minutes).
Step 6: Cool and Serve
- Let the blondies cool in the pan on a rack for about 15 minutes.
- Use the parchment paper to lift the cake out and onto the rack to cool completely before slicing.
- Store loosely covered at room temperature or in the fridge for up to 3 days.
For a twist on the classic Banana Nut Blondies, try adding up to 1 cup (170g) of vegan chocolate chips when you add the nuts. The combination of chocolate and banana is a match made in dessert heaven!
This recipe is excerpted from Snacking Bakes by Yasameen Arefi-Afshar, copyright © 2023. You can purchase the full book on Amazon or from Penguin Random House.
Enjoy your homemade Banana Nut Blondies – a mouthwatering treat that’s perfect for any occasion!
Customizing Your Banana Nut Blondies: Theme Ideas
How do you make Banana Blondies?
Making Banana Blondies is a breeze, and you’ll be indulging in this delightful treat in no time. Follow these simple steps:
- Gather Your Ingredients:
- A ripe banana
- Brown sugar
- Butter (melted or browned)
- Additional ingredients for added flavor (if desired)
- Prepare the Batter:
- Mash the ripe banana to a smooth consistency.
- Combine the mashed banana with brown sugar.
- Add the melted or browned butter into the mixture.
- If you’d like, incorporate additional ingredients for a unique twist.
- Mix and Blend:
- Thoroughly mix all the ingredients until they form a cohesive batter.
- Spread the batter evenly into a lined baking pan.
- Bake to Perfection:
- Bake until the Blondies are slightly puffed and have a golden hue, typically around 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cool and Serve:
- Allow the Blondies to cool in the pan on a rack for about 15 minutes.
- Use the parchment paper to lift the Blondies out of the pan and onto the rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled, slice and serve.
Now you’re all set to enjoy your homemade Banana Blondies, a simple and delightful treat!
What are the best bananas for Blondies?
The choice of bananas for your Blondies can significantly impact the flavor and texture. For the best results, opt for bananas that are:
- Very Ripe: Choose bananas that are very ripe and have reached the stage where they are almost black in color. This level of ripeness ensures a sweeter flavor and easier mashing, enhancing the overall taste of your Blondies.
Using very ripe bananas is key to creating these healthy and delicious Blondies. With only four simple ingredients, they make for a delightful snack. What’s more, they are effortless to prepare, require no baking, and offer ample room for customization.
What are no-bake banana Blondies?
No-bake banana Blondies are a guilt-free delight, requiring just four simple ingredients and, as the name suggests, no baking at all. These Blondies are:
- Soft and Chewy: Enjoy the soft and chewy texture that’s both satisfying and wholesome.
- Minimalist Ingredients: Crafted with just four basic ingredients, they make a healthy and delicious snack option.
- Quick and Easy: With their straightforward preparation, you can whip up these Blondies in no time, making them a perfect choice when you’re craving something sweet without the guilt.
These no-bake banana Blondies are the ultimate combination of simplicity and scrumptiousness, ideal for a quick, guilt-free treat.
Do peanut butter Blondies have chocolate in them?
Peanut butter Blondies are distinct from traditional brownies as they do not contain chocolate. Here’s why:
- No Chocolate: Unlike brownies, peanut butter Blondies are chocolate-free, making them a true blondie.
- Brown Sugar: These Blondies call for brown sugar, not granulated sugar, which contributes to their characteristic blonde appearance.
- Customizable: You have the creative freedom to customize these Blondies to your preference, whether adding chocolate or other ingredients.
Peanut butter Blondies offer a delicious alternative for those who prefer the rich, nutty flavor of peanut butter without the chocolatey twist.
What’s the difference between a blondie and a brownie?
Blondies and brownies share a chewy texture, but their differences are notable:
- Flavor Profile: Blondies have a lighter and softer flavor compared to the richer, chocolaty taste of brownies.
- Ingredient Distinction: The key divergence lies in their ingredients:
- Blondies use vanilla extract and brown sugar for their flavor, omitting cocoa powder.
- Brownies, on the other hand, prominently feature chocolate and cocoa for their distinct chocolatey taste.
In summary, the primary contrast between a blondie and a brownie is their flavor and ingredient composition, making each a unique and delightful treat in its own right.
Are blondies meant to be gooey in the middle?
A well-made blondie is characterized by its texture, striking a balance between chewy, gooey in the middle, and firm around the edges. If you desire an even gooier center, consider adding an extra egg yolk to your blondie recipe. This customization can enhance the gooeyness to your liking, offering a delectable treat with the perfect texture.